Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Book Review-Blindness (José Saramago)
'White darkness'
What if everyone goes blind, plunging into the white darkness except one? What if, that one person does not have the ability to lead others? This book, called 'Blindness' and written by José Saramago, tests and unveils the whole human race's virtue and their true nature.
'Blindness'- The story starts with an completely normal person getting abruptly blind-well, not exactly blind, because they get into the state of pure whiteness-which is illustrated as 'A sea of milk'. And this symptom increases by geometrical progression, and everyone gets blind, except one-the doctor's wife. And there are a small herd of people which are the followers of the doctor's wife. then, a tremendous chaos rampages the whole society. They tend to live-and the doctor's wife gets an enormous burden, which is to lead not only her followers,but the whole society.
Well, after those endless days of sufferings and corruption, one by one, the 'test' ends and once again gets their vision returned. Though I expected this affair to take place at the last, I was able to read this book with thorough interest and emotion. I assume that Saramago-the author, tried to accuse the whole human race for not viewing the truth and their reality even when they aren't blind. However, in the other hand, I believe that he tried to indicate- to emphasize the human race's essential virtue and hope by presenting the character- doctor's wife and her followers.
Even though she- the doctor's wife, had a great burden, which was to lead the whole blind world, she successes to lead them until the end. And yes, she was a normal person with numerous weakness and effeminacy-she cries alone, tries suicide and to run away-but she is also an normal person with firm determination and bravery. I realized that from the most tough situations, a human beings natural virtue would be emitted. Furthermore, I was also impressed with the other characters, such as the prostitute-which helped me greatly to break the old prejudice about certain people, and the old man and the doctor- who showed tremendous modesty and humility in the most difficult situations. Again, I was- in overall, thoroughly touched by the story, and was able to gain hope from their behavior.
I would like to recommend this book to all people - to reflect themselves for their hypocritical view and their conceit, but especially to pessimistic, negative people to see the hopeful, warm message left veiled in the book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.